Terre des hommes Albania conducted a research study on “Child Protection Measures for Children below the Age of Criminal Responsibility who are in Conflict with the Law in Albania”, in the framework of the “Child Protection System Strengthening for Children in Conflict with the Law” project, which is being implemented by Terre des hommes Albania, in partnership with Defense for Children International the Netherlands and with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands MATRA programme 2017 -2021.
The focus of this research study is on the child protection measures for children below the age of criminal responsibility who are in conflict with the law in Albania. Building on the existent research, the research addressed in particular changes introduced by the Albanian government in 2016 in the juvenile justice system.
In this document you can read about child protection framework in Albania for juvenile offenders, child protection structures, case management, summary of the main findings and a set of recommendations to improve the child protection system in Albania for children below MACR in conflict with the law.
These recommendations are summarized as follows:
- New rules related to children below MACR in conflict with the law should be approved and the rules in different laws harmonised.
- The implementation of the legislation in force should be monitored and periodically assessed.
- Public authorities should provide the relevant infrastructure to support the child protection system for children below MACR in conflict with the law.
- Strengthen the capacity building for every stakeholder in the child protection system
- Strengthen cooperation and coordination in case management
- Establish institutional cooperation mechanisms
- Develop distinct roles in case management for the different actors
- Improve monitoring and evaluation systems
- Provide sufficient funding for child protection system
- Increase the staffing in schools, municipalities and the police as part of the strategy to reduce the number of children below MACR in conflict with the law
- Increase the capacities of CPUs
- Relevant stakeholders in the child protection system should be specialized in children’s rights and child psychology.
- Develop holistic approaches
- Prioritize the best interest of the child in all preventive programmes and services.