Terre des hommes Romania is implementing in the domain of Access to Justice (A2J), the Project named PRECISION („Promote Rehabilitation, Empowerment of Children and Support for Youth Offenders” financed by MEDICOR Foundation) that seeks to promote wellbeing and reduce recidivism of juvenile offenders in Romania. The objective of the project is that: by the end of 2020, about 500 children and youth in 3 juvenile detention facilities benefit of high quality personalized services that meet their rehabilitative needs. During their detention, children and youth will have developed the necessary knowledge and skills (literacy, vocational skills, life-skills, self-esteem, motivation, social skills etc.) for their successful rehabilitation in society. The project will apply a two-fold approach: 1) case management and 2) education and vocational training within the Detention Center in Craiova, that serves as a pilot facility for the model.
The project aims to:
- To develop a knowledge base and tools that will serve for informed decisions for politicians and practitioners and promote better understanding of child and youth challenges in the justice system and upon exit.
- To develop a model that is based on individual case management and consists of a package of services meeting the rehabilitative needs of juvenile offenders.
- Alongside, to strengthen the capacities of professionals working with children and youth in detention facilities.
- To raise awareness and advocate on the specific needs of children and youth in detention and the importance of (pre-release) programs that target individual factors and aim at increasing self-esteem, improving mental wellbeing and changing behavior.
- The project is seeking to develop an innovative model for support/learning in detention facilities for youth offenders and also aim at improving/ adapting the practices of detention staff in order to grant a better protection for juvenile offenders and better meet their rehabilitative needs.
In that sense we intend to realize:
- a qualitative research in 3 detention facilities for youth - Package A
- and a review of current situation in the field of Juvenile Justice and international practices - Package B.
Based on the research findings in both packages (Package A and Package B), Terre des hommes will aim at improving/adapting the practices of detention staff in order to grant a better protection for juvenile offenders and better meet their rehabilitative needs.
The model will be based on Terre des hommes’ conception of the child in conflict with the law as an active and positive contribution to society rather than being considered as a risk. As a consequence, all children in conflict with the law should be supported in their development of skills and competences.
Terre des hommes is seeking to:
- Selection of a short-term national expert conducting a qualitative research in 3 detention facilities for youth, focusing on: 1) Challenges and needs of children and youth in detention facilities in Romania, 2) Training needs assessment for detention staff (Package A)
- Selection of a short-term expert for conducting an assessment of the national current situation in the field of Juvenivle Justice and international practices that have proved to be effective in the rehabilitation of youth offenders, focusing on promoting their wellbeing and reducing recidivism (Package B)
Summary of activities / tasks:
- Develop an evaluation methodology and timeline/ work plan;
- Elaborate the schedule of the field research;
- Coordinating with Tdh and detention facilities staff for planning the data collection activities;
- Collect data from the field visit / online interviews with the proposed key persons;
- Periodic debriefings of the findings with Tdh staff, but also representative of penitentiary administration and key external partners (based on the draft reports);
- Write a detailed research report reflecting the opinions of all the relevant stakeholders. The report should be approximately 30 pages long (without annexes), and should be written in Romanian and English language.
- Develop an evaluation methodology and timeline/ work plan;
- Elaborate the schedule of the interviews;
- Conduct an extensive literature review on national and international practices that have proved to be effective in the rehabilitation of youth offenders, promoting their wellbeing and reducing recidivism;
- Coordinating with Tdh and authorities/experts for planning the key informant interviews;
- Collect data through online interviews with the proposed key persons;
- Periodic debriefings of the findings with Tdh staff (based on the draft reports);
- Write a detailed research report reflecting the findings of the literature review and the opinions of all the relevant stakeholders. The report should be approximately 40 pages long, (without annexes) in English.
Experts profile / Applicant Requirements:
- Long-lasting studies (master or PhD) in social sciences(sociology, social assistance, psychology, political science etc.) or law;
- Proven experience in conducting needs assessments to feed into strategic and operational planning, particularly in the field of juvenile justice and strengthening child protection systems and in working with professionals/administrative personnel;
- Previous experience in conducting in-depth qualitative research, working in the design, implementation or management of juvenile justice operations with governmental or non-governmental organizations;
- Excellent research writing and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and critically analyses a wide range of material from primary and secondary data sources and to present information in a concise yet thorough form;
- Experience in working with vulnerable groups, including children;
- Knowledge of juvenile justice in Romania and at a global level represent and asset;
- Excellent command of English;
The application file must include:
a. Short Letter of Intent (max. 1 page)
b. Short description of a methodological approach/plan (max. 5 pages);
c. Financial offer.
d. CV in English;
e. A list of research papers / articles published indicating the web pages where these papers can be accessed;
f. A brief description of the legal entity and a list of studies performed;
g. Contact details (name, position, telephone and e-mail) of two persons who can provide recommendations on the applicant's expertise;
Interested experts are requested to send their application package by the 18th of March at 09:00 AM. Documents can be submitted electronically to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org or sent by post to the following address: Terre des hommes Foundation, Franzelarilor Street, Nr. 6, sector 2, Bucharest, 020786, Tel / Fax: +40 021 212 38 32.
Terms of Reference:
Please download the Terms of Reference from below, for more information.