This is a vacancy announcement for both internal and external applicants. At the same level of experience and qualifications, internal applicants are preferred.
Start date 1st March 2020
Contract One year initially, full-time employment contract, renewable. Tdh has a long-term commitment towards developing child protection in Europe (Vision 2030)
Salary Ranging from 2000-2500 EUR net depending on taxation regime and position on salary grid, paid in local currency.
Location Anywhere in Europe with regular travel to Tdh Europe countries (Albania, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Moldova, Romania, Ukraine)
Deadline for receiving applications: 25 February 2020 COB
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Early applications are highly encouraged as we usually start setting up interviews before the deadline. Priority will be given to the candidates legally eligible to work in the EU.
WHAT WE DO IN EUROPE
Terre des hommes is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Through our health, protection and emergency relief programmes, we provide assistance to over four million children and their families in over 40 countries each year. In Europe, has presence in 7 countries, relying on teams based in Budapest, Albania, Greece, Kosovo, Romania, Moldova and Ukraine. Working closely with partners, Tdh intervenes indirectly in 12 other European countries. In Europe and in many countries around the world, Tdh works on child protection transversally and implements flagship child protection projects such as ChildHub.
The Regional Child Protection & Safeguarding Advisor reports to the Head of Office in Budapest and functionally to the Head of Child Protection Sector/global safeguarding. Initially, work time will be split equally between the two roles (protection and safeguarding), however this is likely to evolve over time depending on organisational priorities, funding opportunities and progress in project implementation.
As Regional Protection
- Working closely with the Deputy Head of office in Budapest, contribute to ChildHub as child protection adviser for the project.
- Integrate, promote, facilitate mainstreaming and implementation of child protection related approaches into Tdh programming in the region, across the different programs
- Key focal point for child protection approaches and interventions in the region
- Deliver technical support to child protection and psychosocial interventions of Tdh within the region and across the programmes
- Lead or facilitate child protection related capacity development initiatives of social actors within the region, including through formal training but also using digital/innovative technologies such as video enhanced reflective practice.
- Document child protection practices, share knowledge, lessons learned, promising practices, research findings, in the form of journal articles and presentations, webinars, etc and consolidate regional data in periodic information reports in coordination with the Child Protection Sector
- Ensure Tdh positioning within regional professional networks and forums on child protection related issues
- Participate actively in the regional support team (“U team”).
As Regional Safeguarding
- Working closely with the Desk manager for Europe Region and Project Manager Child Safeguarding in Sport, contribute to Child Safeguarding in Football – a UEFA supported project as child safeguarding adviser.
- Working closely with the Regional Access to Justice Manager and the Deputy Head of office in Budapest, contribute to PROMISE III (Barnahus project) as safeguarding senior expert.
- Promote and lead the implementation of Child Safeguarding, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Misconduct at the Workplace – policies, strategy and tools in all countries of presence in Europe.
- Contribute to the operational reflection of safeguarding at a regional level
- Propose an agenda and execution of the plan of action.
- Guide national Focal Points through the implementation of the plan of action, identifies potential capacity building needs and challenges.
- Facilitate the monthly Europe Safeguarding community of practice meeting
- Prepare/revise the plan of action for 2020 with the national safeguarding focal points
- Partnerships: Ensure that Terre des hommes partners either sign our policies/code of Conduct or implement their own in the 12 other countries where Tdh works with partners.
- May participate in the resolution of safeguarding cases in the Europe Region on a case-by-case basis. Such involvement will be requested by the Head of Region in consultation with the Quality & Accountability and Risks Sector.
- Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. Humanities, Social Work) from an accredited educational institution.
- Several years of research experience will be a strong asset.
- 3+ years of experience in child protection or child safeguarding
- 5+ years of experience in providing guidance and building capacity of professionals, groups or systems in relation to child rights/child protection (multi country context will be an asset).
- Solid understanding and experience in child protection, child rights, social work and/or social norms;
- High-level representational skills; Experience in advocacy for public policy change a strong asset;
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic thinking, with an openness to change and a taste for innovation;
- Self-motivated, with skills to support and advise others;
- Able to manage high volume of work flow efficiently with minimal supervision;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build effective relationships at all levels within the organisation or through networks and alliances;
- Excellent communication skills; high proficiency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of a language of the region is an asset but not a requirement (Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian; Albanian; Russian; Ukrainian; Bulgarian; Romanian).
- Attention to detail
Child Safeguarding Policy:
As an employee, you will be expected to commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their CV and motivation in English to email@example.com by 25 February 2020. Please include “Regional Child Protection & Safeguarding Adviser” followed by your name and surname in the subject line of the application email.
Due to an anticipated high number of applications, Tdh is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.